Sunday, June 30, 2024

    Howdy ya'll. Just kidding. I dig the south but -ya'll- just rankles me. No offence.    

    So anyway..........I'm once again living south of the Mason Dixon. Coastal Plain. Hot and flat. That's okay. Plenty to do and see and the SR finds corners and an occasional hill. She gets to see the ocean and rivers. Swamps and gator habitats. S'all good.

    We get to see Deb's Grands and watch them discover life with its infinite possibility's. But we miss the hills. My people are hill folks and hills are lifeblood.

    Having recently ventured into the NC mountains, we drove past Grandfather Mountain where sits Fraser's Ridge. Mythical home of Jamie and Claire. Plus, we walk the streets of New Bern in their footsteps. Past Tryon Palace where Jamie plead his case. Of course, this palace is a re-pop built in 1958 or so. The foundation and basement are correct. Or so they say.

    The surrounding countryside is the SR's habitat. She loves the cotton and tobacco fields and the tumble down buildings of yesterday. Old, unused gas pumps tickle her two valves and adjustable cam. She staccato beats past these and ticks and tangs in the parking lot upon reaching home. I hit the kill switch and utter the line I've uttered for 50 years now.

 "I live another day." 


No comments:

Post a Comment